“Big Box” retailers, (like Wal-Mart) come with all sorts of positive conveniences and negative externalities. But when one closes down, leaving a vacant suburban hulk in its wake, it’s hard to see the benefits. Nonetheless, enterprising businesses & groups have been successfully re-using abandoned big box stores to the benefit of their local economy and at a substantial cost savings. Julia Christensen’s website has more.
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
Adataptive Big-Box Reuse
Where we’re going
- Graphic: Collaborative Economy Honeycomb
- Has your organization had its annual Sustainability Audit?
- OpenIDEO Huddle: Design Thinking + Renewable Energy
- Betting Big on Electric Vehicles
- Vulnerable Homeless Warned of Storm Through New Mobile Service
- ‘Buyers’ Club’ Flexes Market Muscle in Favor of Healthier Building Materials