See that nice take-a-way sandwich in the transparent plastic container? You’d be surprised then to know that the container is a corn-based polymer called PLA. It’s one of many offerings from Natureworks that are derived from corn and (so they say) look just as good and work just as well. Of course there’s a premium – 18 cents each for salad bowls by my calculations – but that’s bound to come down with economies of scale.
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
Natureworks PLA Packaging
Where we’re going
- Graphic: Collaborative Economy Honeycomb
- Has your organization had its annual Sustainability Audit?
- OpenIDEO Huddle: Design Thinking + Renewable Energy
- Betting Big on Electric Vehicles
- Vulnerable Homeless Warned of Storm Through New Mobile Service
- ‘Buyers’ Club’ Flexes Market Muscle in Favor of Healthier Building Materials