The U.S. Transporation Department estimates a whopping 10,000 barrels of oil a day could be saved by extending daylight savings time by two months. The savings would come due to a decrease in electrical demands during daylit hours. In an attempt to offset skyrocketing energy costs, an ammendment stipulating this extension has already been approved by lawmakers. Hopefully the legislators invloved realize that the sun not only provides natural light, but also harvestable energy that could further offset rising costs.
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
Suspending Time to Save Oil
Where we’re going
- Graphic: Collaborative Economy Honeycomb
- Has your organization had its annual Sustainability Audit?
- OpenIDEO Huddle: Design Thinking + Renewable Energy
- Betting Big on Electric Vehicles
- Vulnerable Homeless Warned of Storm Through New Mobile Service
- ‘Buyers’ Club’ Flexes Market Muscle in Favor of Healthier Building Materials