For every 10% you shave off a vehicle’s weight, you save around 7% in fuel costs. Research that can help automakers make lighter vehicles without compromising saftey is therefore immensely valuable, as well as environmentally progressive. The US Department of Energy has just announced, in conjunction with the US Council for Automotive Research, a $70 Million program to speed up research and development in the area of advanced, lightweight materials. Some of the most advanced are said to reduce vehicle weight by as much as 70% – you do the math. (Source – DOE Press Release)
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
DOE/USCAR Seek High-Strength, Light Weight Materials
Where we’re going
- The Low-Carbon Company: Mastering the low-carbon economy
- U.S. Chamber Foundation Names Winners of 15th Annual Corporate Citizenship Awards
- The Military and Asbestos-Related Diseases
- Toronto CBSR Summit Coming Soon!
- What’s In A Food Word?
- Sustainability Management Association Welcomes Four New Board of Directors