Everyone knows that compact florescent bulbs and LEDs are far more efficient than the standard lightbulb. This interesting BBC piece suggests that incandescent bulbs are so inefficient that if they were introduced today “it is highly unlikely they would be allowed onto the market.” It goes so far as to (only partly in jest) suggest that the old style bulbs be banned. With lighting using up 5-10% of the world’s energy, and plenty of subsidies available, it’s not such a crazy idea!
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
Ban the Lightbulb? It Could Save Billions.
Where we’re going
- Graphic: Collaborative Economy Honeycomb
- Has your organization had its annual Sustainability Audit?
- OpenIDEO Huddle: Design Thinking + Renewable Energy
- Betting Big on Electric Vehicles
- Vulnerable Homeless Warned of Storm Through New Mobile Service
- ‘Buyers’ Club’ Flexes Market Muscle in Favor of Healthier Building Materials