More interesting news from the Financial Times (via WBCSD) about the win-win payoff being enjoyed in the microfinance sector. According to the article, what was once considered a low-scale “good dead” is now becoming a hot investment opportunity. The rise of firms like prosper.com comes to mind, as well as the sizable microfinance programs that major lenders like Citibank are now involved with. Interestingly, though returns maybe somewhat lower than other forms of lending, risks are far lower than one might expect. From the article: “It turns out that poor rural women are better credit risks than many companies, meaning that default rates are low. Accion [A major microfinance find ]reports a historical repayment rate of 97 per cent. No Accion or Calvert investors have lost money to date.”
Cambridge: May 23
Global Shared Value Leadership Summit. The Global Shared Value Leadership Summit is the principal conference on shared value. Attracting business leaders from around the world, the invitation-only Summit will foster a cutting-edge, practitioner-driven discussion. Devoted to building a shared value community of practice, the new Shared Value Initiative will host this year's Summit. Register here.
San Rafael: Jun 2 – Jun 4
Public Banking Conference. Join pioneering policy makers, civic leaders, banking entrepreneurs, innovators and ordinary citizens interested in learning about one of the most critical undertakings of our time: creating a truly prosperous, democratic and sustainable new economy. Get a 25% discount with promo-code "3p" Register here.
Try the CSRHUB Widget
- Advancing Renewable Energy Technologies for Worldwide Economic Stability
- Energy Efficiency Intensive Class at the Presidio, Coming June 18
- How Small Businesses Can Tackle Social Media Hurdles
- Managing Efficient Employee Volunteer Programs: Best Practices for Maximizing Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Antioch University New England: Milestones and How We Respond
- Conflict Minerals: Exposed from the Complexities of Implementation? Insights for Global Brands and OEM’s