More interesting news from the Financial Times (via WBCSD) about the win-win payoff being enjoyed in the microfinance sector. According to the article, what was once considered a low-scale “good dead” is now becoming a hot investment opportunity. The rise of firms like prosper.com comes to mind, as well as the sizable microfinance programs that major lenders like Citibank are now involved with. Interestingly, though returns maybe somewhat lower than other forms of lending, risks are far lower than one might expect. From the article: “It turns out that poor rural women are better credit risks than many companies, meaning that default rates are low. Accion [A major microfinance find ]reports a historical repayment rate of 97 per cent. No Accion or Calvert investors have lost money to date.”
Microfinance: “Good Deeds” Paying Off
Fireside Chat: Live
Where we’re going
- Nick Aster
San Diego: Apr 24 – Apr 27
Social Venture Network Spring Conference
SVN conferences convene and connect influential, innovative business leaders, impact investors and cultural entrepreneurs to create an experience where attendees can share the ideas and resources they need to succeed and grow. Register here.
- Nick Aster
New York: May 13 – May 14
Shared Value Leadership Summit
For business leaders and problem solvers who see exciting market opportunities at the intersection of business goals and societal challenges, the Shared Value Initiative is the leading community shaping research, partnerships, and practices. Register here.
- Travis Noland
London: May 20 – May 22
2014 Global Sustainability Standards Conference
Listen to progressive companies and governments and leaders from Fairtrade, Forest Stewardship Council, Marine Stewardship Council, Rainforest Alliance, and other influential certifications discuss what brings the whole standards movement together: Trust. Register here.
- Marissa Rosen
Online: Apr 30
Online Chat: Brad Molotsky; EVP, Brandywine Realty Trust
Chat about the growing sustainable real estate trend; learn how Brandywine Realty Trust is leading the way. Register here.
- SLDI on State of the World Economy: The Emperor Has No Clothes
- KvinlonWeldon on Nest Freezes Sales of Smoke Alarm, Is Sued Over Thermostat’s Energy Savings Claims
- upcycler on Belgium Hosts Europe’s Best Recycling and Prevention Program
- sunil ayyawar on Cleveland Browns Roll Out New Food Waste-to-Energy System
- Lance Sjogren on Transmission for Renewables: Cheaper and Greener Than Natural Gas Pipelines
- Stanford Climate Scientist Mark Jacobson Addresses Climate Challenges
- LIVE FEED: Global Philanthropy Forum Day 2
- Eco-Friendly Products to Celebrate Earth Day in Style
- LIVE FEED: Global Philanthropy Forum Day 1
- Sustainable Brands® Announces Full Program Details for Global Brand Innovation Conference
- Treeson Spring Water: A step in solving the bottled water problem