Azeem Azhar brought to my attention a very interesting project that he’s been working on with Indian farmers that exemplifies the best of leapfrog technology. It’s a system to provide accurate weather forecasts, as well as pricing data for their crops, sent to their mobile phones. The pilot project, detailed in the London Times, is being implemented by Reuters. Among the benefits are better preparedness for monsoon rains as well as better data about where and when to take crops to market. Currently, an astonishing 1/3 of vegetables grown in India fail to reach market before they rot – a result of a myriad of inefficiencies. This sounds like a great business opportunity for eveyone involved, particularily the poor and hungry.
Empowering Indian Farmers With Mobile Phone Market Applications
- Nick Aster
Online: Sep 18
Symantec: Bridging the Workforce and Diversity Gaps
Join Symantec, Susan McPherson and the Shared Value Initiative as we discuss diversity as a business imperative as well as ways to bridge the gaps that are holding diversity back in certain sectors Register here.
Fireside Chat: Live
- Nick Aster
Philadelphia: Sep 30
Stories & Beer Philadelphia: Measuring Positive Impact
Measuring financial success is straightforward enough, but how do you measure a business's overall positive impact? Join 4 different b-corps to talk about it in Philadelphia. Register here.
Where we’re going
- Nick Aster
London: Nov 3 – Nov 5
Sustainable Brands London 2014
Connect with Sustainability Executives, Brand Strategists, and Design & Innovation Leaders as the Sustainable Brands London Conference convenes to drive the innovation that leads to enhanced business. Discount with code: NW3pSB14L Register here.
- Travis Noland
Sausalito: Nov 11 – Nov 12
Executive Working Group on Stakeholder Engagement
Future 500’s 5th Annual Executive Working Group will bring together peers and experts, and provide a rare opportunity to engage with stakeholder influentials (such as NGO activist leaders and foundation funders). Register here.
- Fear-Based Marketing Has No Place in the Mainstream Climate Change Debate on
- NYC Gives Homeowners Free Rain Barrels on
- 3p Traceability Week: Q&A with Indigenous on Fashion Traceability on
- 3p Traceability Week: Q&A with MJ Freeway on Medical Marijuana Traceability on
- 3p Traceability Week: Q&A with Flip Labs on Seafood Traceability on
- Solution Generation Brings Climate Change Leadership to Campuses and Communities Nationwide
- 80 Businesses Honored as ‘Best for Workers’, Creating Higher Quality Jobs That Serve a Higher Purpose
- SAP and Partners Seek Guinness World Record for the Longest Electric Vehicle Parade
- What I Learned at CSRwire.com
- First Ever Summit on LGBTQ Sustainability
- The best way to future-proof your business? Go green