Azeem Azhar brought to my attention a very interesting project that he’s been working on with Indian farmers that exemplifies the best of leapfrog technology. It’s a system to provide accurate weather forecasts, as well as pricing data for their crops, sent to their mobile phones. The pilot project, detailed in the London Times, is being implemented by Reuters. Among the benefits are better preparedness for monsoon rains as well as better data about where and when to take crops to market. Currently, an astonishing 1/3 of vegetables grown in India fail to reach market before they rot – a result of a myriad of inefficiencies. This sounds like a great business opportunity for eveyone involved, particularily the poor and hungry.
Empowering Indian Farmers With Mobile Phone Market Applications
Fireside Chat: Live
Where we’re going
- Nick Aster
London: Nov 3 – Nov 5
Sustainable Brands London 2014
Connect with Sustainability Executives, Brand Strategists, and Design & Innovation Leaders as the Sustainable Brands London Conference convenes to drive the innovation that leads to enhanced business. Discount with code: NW3pSB14L Register here.
- Travis Noland
Sausalito: Nov 11 – Nov 12
Executive Working Group on Stakeholder Engagement
Future 500’s 5th Annual Executive Working Group will bring together peers and experts, and provide a rare opportunity to engage with stakeholder influentials (such as NGO activist leaders and foundation funders). Register here.
- john bruce beardsley on Climate Denial Smokescreen Now Extends to South Asian Food Challenges
- jaredn79 on Whole Foods’ Sale of Rabbit Meat Is a Big Pet Peeve to Some
- jenboynton on Whole Foods’ Sale of Rabbit Meat Is a Big Pet Peeve to Some
- Nick Aster on EV Drive: Behind the Wheel of the 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf
- craig on Plastics Recycling: You’re Doing it Wrong. And So is Everybody Else!
- SXSW Eco Announces Finalists for Startup Showcase and Place by Design Competitions
- Cartridge for a cause recycles for charity
- Kaiser Permanente Environmental Leader Makes the Case for Hospitals to Help Heal the Planet
- The green teams saving your business energy
- How IT Advancements Boost The Sustainability Of Wind Power
- The Toxic Garage: More Frequent Than You Think