No one disputes that deforestation, particularily in tropical locations such as Brazil, is a major problem for the health of the planet and of humanity. However, one also cannot blame tropical countries for engaging in deforestation when they are in desparate need of economic growth for an impoverished populace. A carbon trading solution suggests that an acre of forest left intact might actually yeild more money for a country’s coffers if the carbon sequestering value of that acre could be sold on an open exchange. Critics, however, point out that some degree of carbon trading may help, but it has the potential nagative side effect of discouraging industrial nations for changing their habits by simply letting them pay to pollute. Read more on WBCSD.
« Back to Home Page
Sign up for the 3p daily dispatch:
Another Good Article on Good and Bad of Carbon Trading Solutions to Deforestation
Fireside Chat: Live
Where we’re going
- Shower Bucket Challenge
- Sustainable Brands Announces ‘How Now’ Theme for SB’15 San Diego Conference, June 1-4, 2015
- Gelfand Partners Architects – A Woman-Owned, Full Service Design Firm
- Access Early Bird Discounts for the International Women’s Day 2015 Forum!
- Motoring Advice: Saving Money and the Environment When Buying a Car
- Press release: #RBS is back – Embed sustainable innovation into your business model