Worldmapper has created a series of 366 world maps, each showing the proportion of a single variable in each of 200 territories, encompassing 99.95% of the world’s population. The maps are density-equalising cartograms, which allow direct comparison of one map to each of the others. The above comparison of current world population (top) with ecological footprint (bottom) gives a clear visual representation to just how out of balance consumption in the US has become. If you’ve read that it would take six Earths to support a world population that lived like the average American citizen, this shows why.
Other map categories include population histories and future projections, income, wealth, poverty, education, resources, manufacturers, pollution, health, and much more.
Visualization of Ecological Footprint by Country
Fireside Chat: Live
Where we’re going
- Nick Aster
London: Nov 3 – Nov 5
Sustainable Brands London 2014
Connect with Sustainability Executives, Brand Strategists, and Design & Innovation Leaders as the Sustainable Brands London Conference convenes to drive the innovation that leads to enhanced business. Discount with code: NW3pSB14L Register here.
- Travis Noland
Sausalito: Nov 11 – Nov 12
Executive Working Group on Stakeholder Engagement
Future 500’s 5th Annual Executive Working Group will bring together peers and experts, and provide a rare opportunity to engage with stakeholder influentials (such as NGO activist leaders and foundation funders). Register here.
- Bard Graduate Programs in Sustainability Support the People’s Climate March in NYC!
- Twitter Chat on Millennials and Social Entrepreneurship: Making an Impact at Work
- Reignite Your Community Program
- The Power of Benchmarking
- How do we create a better future together? Triple Pundit and HP to Host Twitter chat LIVE from SXSW Eco
- Masdar Invests in £1.5bn Offshore Wind Farm; Expands its Presence in the UK Wind Energy Market