Getting rid of our incredible plastic bag glut is a monumental challenge with all sorts of approaches. Whole Foods seems to have come up with another one, which is working out great financially for the company as well. WF is offering “designer” shopping bags at a (pretty steep) $15 each to shoppers. They look cool and have comfy straps as a bonus. But will people pay that much for a shopping bag? Evidently yes, as people literally lined up around the block in New York to buy them. (more on CNN Money) (thx, JPW)
Whole Foods Selling $15 Shopping Bags… Lots of ‘em
Fireside Chat: Live
Where we’re going
- Nick Aster
San Diego: Apr 24 – Apr 27
Social Venture Network Spring Conference
SVN conferences convene and connect influential, innovative business leaders, impact investors and cultural entrepreneurs to create an experience where attendees can share the ideas and resources they need to succeed and grow. Register here.
- Nick Aster
New York: May 13 – May 14
Shared Value Leadership Summit
For business leaders and problem solvers who see exciting market opportunities at the intersection of business goals and societal challenges, the Shared Value Initiative is the leading community shaping research, partnerships, and practices. Register here.
- Travis Noland
London: May 20 – May 22
2014 Global Sustainability Standards Conference
Listen to progressive companies and governments and leaders from Fairtrade, Forest Stewardship Council, Marine Stewardship Council, Rainforest Alliance, and other influential certifications discuss what brings the whole standards movement together: Trust. Register here.
- Marissa Rosen
Online: Apr 30
Online Chat: Brad Molotsky; EVP, Brandywine Realty Trust
Chat about the growing sustainable real estate trend; learn how Brandywine Realty Trust is leading the way. Register here.
- MyMelody on Natural Gas: Pros and Cons
- marilynmehlmann on Adam Smith, Milton Friedman and the Social Responsibility of Business
- ab on Fighting the Descent Into Oligarchy with Corporate Social Responsibility
- SLDI on Returning to the Natural Stormwater Management Approach
- SLDI on Building a Sustainable Community Forest
- Sustainable Brands® Announces 2014 Innovation Open Semi-finalists
- OF THE SEA, a new film about seafood & sustainability launches on Kickstarter
- Global Reporting Initiative celebrates new era for non-financial information disclosure in the EU
- More Renewable Energy Needed to Avoid Catastrophic Climate Change
- Sustainability Report 2013: HEINEKEN on its way to meet 2020 commitments
- Sustainable Sourcing: General Mills Invites Open Dialogue on Twitter