Welcome to “ClimatePULSE with ClimateCHECK”, a weekly blog on Triple Pundit covering the world of GHG management and GHG markets in North America. ClimateCHECK is a top tier provider of credible, practical and innovative greenhouse gas (GHG) management for carbon commodities and clean technology solutions. We guide our clients through risk management and compliance issues and into innovative GHG management solutions that create value by improving environmental and economic returns; something we like to call the “double dividend” approach.
Our practice is based on the experience that our team has accumulated by working on over 200 GHG and clean technology assignments across several industries in North America and internationally under the UNFCCC Kyoto Protocol Clean Development Mechanism (CDM). During the last 10 years we have been involved with most of the leading GHG programs, standards and markets. Our work to date includes being the main author of the ISO 14064-2 International Standard for GHG Projects, which was recently adopted by the Voluntary Carbon Standard – the premier international system for carbon credits. ISO 14064 is also the basis for the Alberta offset system – the first GHG regulated jurisdiction in North America, as well as the emerging national offsets system in Canada. We are also a leading advisor to Greenhouse Gas Services – a joint venture of GE and AES that creates high quality carbon credits. We authored the standards used by the government of Canada for assessing the GHG performance of clean technologies for the TEAM program and Sustainable Development Technologies Canada. We don’t just know the carbon standards – we set them. We are also proud founders and sponsors of the non-profits Greenhouse Gas Management Institute and LiveNeutral – because we truly believe in walking the talk and helping our clients do the same.
Each week in “ClimatePULSE with ClimateCHECK”, a member of the ClimateCHECK team will address a topic related to GHG markets and management issues to shed light on how the markets work and why they are important. Our aim will be, in part, to address technical issues in a way that the average reader can appreciate. As these markets evolve, there is still time for open discussion on various “rules of the game”. Therefore, we will also use this forum as an open dialogue with our colleagues in an effort to share our professional opinions and learn from each other. We think readers of all backgrounds and experiences will appreciate both varieties of posts.
As a sneak preview of what to expect in the coming weeks, here are some topics we intend to cover.
- GHG Vocabulary. Standards, Protocols, Verification, Certification, Methodologies, etc.
- What does it all mean?
- Exploring the link between climate change and clean technology.
- 1001 Standards. Who writes them? Who approves them? What purpose(s) do they serve? Why are there so many?
- The Carbon Talent Show. There’s a growing supply of jobs in the carbon markets world these days but where the experts when you need them?
- Organizational Entity vs. Facility GHG accounting. Why is one method better than the other?
- ISO 14064 – how can it be applied to carbon products and technologies.
- Radiative Forcing Index (RFI) and Aircraft GHG emissions.
- Share your challenging questions about GHG standards, policies, technologies, programs, etc, with us at: ClimatePULSE@Climate-CHECK.com