- It’s not unusual to encounter wood-fired biomass power plants. Utilities in Europe and the USA currently add wood to the coal boilers. Here’s a new tactic for biomass burning. A large Louisiana coal-fired generator is planting a food crop as well as switch grass to do some trial burns. There are permitting and Cap & Trade issues worth contemplating. See Coal-Fired Power Generator To Supplement Boiler Feed With Switchgrass And Sorghum for details. Business significance rating: Urgency 2, and Criticality 4. (U2/C4).
- This week’s announcement that Obama Gives EPA the Go-Ahead to Regulate Greenhouse Gases put’s Congress in a headlock over a climate bill. Unless Congress pre-empts, large stationary sources will feel the heat. Business significance: U5/C5.
- A well-designed green roof can be an appreciated employee amenity. Instead of running out of the office, lunch on the rooftop will keep productivity up. See Green Roofs Help Fill Buildings: Good for Business As Well as the Environment, for details. Make sure yours has WiFi. Business significance: U1/C3.
- Does your company have a policy on safe use of cellular communications for employees who drive as a normal job duty? Is it enforced? Communications-distracted drivers have emerged as a massive safety problem. See Working, Talking and Texting While Driving: Something’s Got To Give for an overview. Business significance: U4/C4.
- If your company does any kind of hard-copy publishing at all, even training and maintenance manuals, I’d get in line to do some prototype testing of Apple’s new tablet device. Just so I could evaluate what the future will bring and begin innovating around that new direction. See Apple’s Tablet to Take Over Textbooks, Magazines, Newspapers. Business significance: U2/C5.
- Working on a proprietary or ‘self-declared’ corporate green label. You might consider saving some money by tabling the labeling. For 400 reasons why, see: Can 400 Green Labels Do Anything But Confuse The World’s Consumers? Business significance: U3/C3.
« Back to Home Page