How a Subaru Plant Achieved a Zero Landfill Status

180px-'09_Subaru_Legacy_Wagon_PZEV_(MIAS)

The Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) manufacturing plant in Lafayette, Indiana, became the first auto manufacturing plant to achieve a zero landfill status. None of the plant’s manufacturing waste goes into a landfill, because all of it is recycled and reused.

SIA recycles 99.3 percent of its of excess steel, plastic, wood, paper, glass and other materials. The remaining 0.7 percent is shipped to Indianapolis and burned to help generate steam. In 2006, SIA recycled 11,411 tons of scrap steel, 1,537 tons of cardboard and paper, and 963 tons of wood—equivalent to conserving 31,040 mature trees, 31,572 cubic yards of landfill space, 711,631 gallons of oil, and 10,759,000 gallons of water.

Subaru made a short video about how it achieved zero landfill status at its Lafayette plant.

 

(welcome reddit!  if you like the idea of a zero-waste economy, take a look at our sharing economy series.)

Gina-Marie Cheeseman

Gina-Marie is a freelance writer and journalist armed with a degree in journalism, and a passion for social justice, including the environment and sustainability. She writes for various websites, and has made the 75+ Environmentalists to Follow list by Mashable.com.

5 responses

  1. Pingback: A Subaru Production Plant throws out less garbage in 1 year than a family of 4 does in 1 day! How? | my travels. my indulgence.
Comments are closed.