Today, we’ve lined up 20 of our favorite environmental management and conservation advocacy groups who are currently providing some of the most meaningful sustainability and CSR news on Twitter. While this subjective list is non-exhaustive, we believe this bunch of NGOs is doing their part to improve the world by using Twitter to share engaging and timely social media content.
Here they are, in no particular order:
1. @Greenpeace: Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning organization acting to change attitudes and behavior, to protect the environment and promote peace.
2. @GRI_Secretariat: The Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) mission is to make sustainability reporting standard practice by providing guidance and support to organizations.
3. @BICEPnews: An advocacy group of businesses committed to working with policy makers to pass meaningful energy and climate legislation.
4. @CeresNews: Mobilizing investor and business leadership to build a thriving, sustainable global economy.
5. @Forum4theFuture: An independent nonprofit working globally with business and government to create a sustainable future.
6. @SASB_org: Establishing industry sustainability standards for the recognition & disclosure of material ESG impacts by public companies traded on U.S. exchanges.
7. @RAN: Rainforest Action Network protects forests, communities and climate through non-violent direct action, organizing and education.
8. @NatCapSolutions: Natural Capital Solutions educates senior decision-makers in business, government and civil society about the principles of sustainability.
9. @ASBCouncil: American Sustainable Business Council is a business network that promotes a vibrant, just and sustainable economy.
10. @ConservationOrg: Conservation International is an environmental organization working with partners in 40 countries around the globe to protect nature for the benefit of people.
11. @CDP: The Carbon Disclosure Project is a not-for-profit driving GHG emissions reductions and sustainable water use by transforming the global system.
12. @350: Building a global movement that’s inspiring the world to rise to the challenge of the climate crisis. 350 is the long so-called safe upper limit of CO2 in atmosphere.
13. @RnfrstAlliance: The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods.
14. @FairTradeUSA: Fair Trade USA (formerly TransFair USA), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is the leading third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States.
15. @WorldResources: Environment and human needs – climate change, ecosystems, governance, sustainable markets.
16. @RockyMtnInst: Founded in 1982, Rocky Mountain Institute is a research and consulting nonprofit that drives the efficient and restorative use of resources.
17. @SierraClub: Since 1892, the Sierra Club has been working to protect communities, wild places, and the planet itself.
18. @UCSUSA: The Union of Concerned Scientists puts rigorous, independent science to work to solve our planet’s most pressing problems.
19. @EnvDefenseFund: The Environmental Defense Fund works directly with businesses, government and communities to create lasting solutions to the most serious environmental problems.
20: @NRDC: With over 1.3 million members and online activists joining more than 350 lawyers, scientists, and other professionals, the NRDC works to tackle the biggest environmental issues we face today.
Which groups are your favorites? What others would you add to this list?
Stay tuned for an upcoming list of the Top 25 sustainable for-profit brands on Twitter.