In keeping with its commitment to transparency and stakeholder engagement, on July 24, 2014, Mars, Incorporated will hold a live Twitter chat in collaboration with Aman Singh and TriplePundit to offer an in-depth discussion about sustainability at the food manufacturer.
Mars, Inc. publishes its fourth annual Principles in Action Summary this month, which details the company’s approach to business, its progress, and the shared challenges facing both its business and society. The Principles in Action Summary underscores its commitment to put Mars’ Five Principles into action to make a difference to people and the planet through its performance. Mars remains a private, family-owned business dedicated to the objective first expressed by Forrest E. Mars, Sr. in 1947 – to create a mutuality of benefits for all its stakeholders through its operations.
The Summary outlines the particular challenges and accomplishments associated with manufacturing food across a number of global iconic brands such as M&M’S, Snickers, Pedigree, Wrigley’s EXTRA, Uncle Ben’s, Whiskas and more.
In partnership with TriplePundit, Mars will discuss via Twitter chat how it, as one of the world’s leading food manufacturers with more than 130 manufacturing sites, handles sustainability. Attendees can expect the company to share updates on some of its biggest goals, challenges and accomplishments in meeting milestones and plans for the years to come.
Specifically we’ll be discussing:
- How the company balances the needs of consumers with its commitments to bring prosperity to farmers at the base of the supply chain.
- What Mars’ “Sustainable in a Generation” commitment includes and the challenges and steps needed to achieve.
- How investment in a new massive wind farm equivalent to the size of Paris is one of the ways Mars is achieving its goal to make its operations “Sustainable in a Generation” by eliminating all greenhouse gas emissions from its direct operations by 2040.
- What a sustainable supply chain looks like in 2014 with particular focus on cocoa, fish, tea, coffee, mint and palm oil.
- Mars’ new deforestation policy, which prioritizes palm oil, beef, paper and pulp, and soy.
- What it means to “communicate responsibly.”
- Mars’ commitment to investing in associates and their communities.
The chat will be led by Barry Parkin, Mars’ Chief Sustainability Officer, who is responsible for developing and driving Mars’ global sustainability programs across the value chain from farmers through to consumers. TriplePundit founder Nick Aster and CSRwire’s Editorial Director Aman Singh will facilitate the chat, providing an opportunity for journalists, bloggers, industry analysts and other interested parties to get an in-depth look at Mars’ sustainability strategy.
Details: Date: Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 11:30am-12:30pm ET / 8:30am-9:30am PT To RSVP Please send the following tweet: I’m joining @triplepundit & @AmanSinghCSR to talk w/@MarsGlobal about sustainability and 2013 PiA Summary #MarsSusty You may also drop us an email at email@example.com and join us on Twitter at #MarsSusty Accounts to follow: @MarsGlobal @triplepundit @nickaster @amansinghcsr