Today, Whirlpool Corp., the Natural Resources Defense Council, Blue Apron, Zero Percent and TriplePundit came together at #FoodWaste3p to discuss the issues surrounding food waste in America.
The facts on food waste are becoming all too familiar. In the U.S., 30 to 40 percent of the food supply is wasted, totaling more than 20 pounds per person, per month. Worldwide, about a third of all food produced is lost or wasted.
And this food waste has environmental implications, too, as it makes up the second-highest component of landfills — which, according to a report by UNEP and the World Resources Institute, are our planet’s largest source of methane emissions.
On the heels of World Food Day, our chat took a closer look at this critical issue, and the ways the public sector and business leaders can drive innovation and research to create the change we need.
During #FoodWaste3p, we discussed the following and much more:
- Large-scale solutions like commercial composting
- Smaller-scale (but equally important) solutions like home food organization and preservation
- “Best by” date regulation to reduce consumer confusion
- Ron Voglewede (@WhirlpoolCorp) – Global Sustainability Director at Whirlpool
- Dana Gunders (@DGunders) – Senior Scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council
- Blue Apron (@BlueApron) – Leading fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service in the U.S.
- Raj Karmani (@ZeroPercent) – Founder & Chief Impact Officer at Zero Percent
- Nick Aster (@NickAster) — TriplePundit Founder and Publisher
- Marissa Rosen (@MarissaR1) — TriplePundit Director of Social Media
- Jen Boynton (@JenBoynton) — TriplePundit Editor-In-Chief
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 97,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2015. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 2 million members and online activists. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world’s natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC has offices in New York City; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Chicago; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing. For more information on the work we do, visit us at www.nrdc.org and follow us on Twitter @NRDC.
About Blue Apron
Blue Apron is the leading fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service in the United States. By delivering step-by-step recipes and seasonal, pre-portioned ingredients sourced directly from farms and suppliers, Blue Apron makes it fun and easy to cook incredible meals at home.
About Zero Percent
Zero Percent is a system designed to help businesses move surplus, edible food by posting donations on our online food donations marketplace. The system automatically alerts volunteers at nearby soup kitchens and shelters, through text and email, until it can find one volunteer who accepts to pick up the donation. Learn more at https://app.zeropercent.us.