C&A Foundation, with Fashion for Good, made an industry-wide call for collaboration to transform the apparel industry at a gathering of innovators, sustainability and fashion thought leaders today in Amsterdam. Created with an initial grant from founding partner C&A Foundation, Fashion for Good is a global initiative that brings the industry players together to reimagine how fashion is designed, made, used and reused.
Leslie Johnston, Executive Director of C&A Foundation said: “C&A Foundation is here to transform the fashion industry, and we recognise that to do this we need to completely change mindsets. That is why we founded Fashion for Good. It aims to inform a new way of thinking and at the same time nurture and embed innovations that can bring crucial change. This kind of transformation can only be done with others, so today we are calling for brands, manufacturers, funders and innovators to join us and work together to realise our shared vision.”
Fashion for Good enables the industry to embrace innovation and change its business models, promoting the five essential “Goods” of a new, transformed fashion industry – Good Materials, Good Economy, Good Energy, Good Water, and Good Lives.
It finds and funds early-stage ideas, and scales proven technologies and business models to be adopted by the industry. Its Apparel Acceleration Fund catalyses access to finance and its open-source “Good Fashion Guide” shares knowledge to help the apparel industry transform. In addition, as a convenor, Fashion for Good will use its first hub in Amsterdam to enable conversation and collaboration by bringing co-locators together, as well as by inviting visitors to The Launchpad Exhibition on good fashion.
Fashion for Good was founded by C&A Foundation, and is supported by partners Plug and Play, McDonough Innovation, the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, IDH – the Sustainable Trade Initiative, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and Impact Hub Amsterdam. The first brands to partner with Fashion for Good are C&A and Kering.
“As a leading fashion retailer, we joined forces with Fashion for Good to bring collaboration around circularity to our supply chain. Our first proof point in this partnership was to develop a garment that exceeds all current levels of sustainability – demonstrating that it can be done”, said Jeffrey Hogue, Chief Sustainability Officer of C&A and C&A Foundation Board Member. “We want to democratize our approach by sharing our learning with the industry through Fashion for Good to encourage other brands to join this holistic approach to designing products for their next life.”
This initiative is part of C&A Foundation’s wider efforts to drive the transition to circular economy within in the fashion industry. C&A Foundation is nurturing and scaling solutions that will accelerate this new system by enabling best practice today and supporting the innovation of tomorrow. The foundation is partnering with organisations that will challenge the industry to rethink its material choices, chemical choices, manufacturing choices, and retail and use choices.
For further information or interviews, please contact:
Senior Communications Manager
+49 172 761 6017
Director of Communications
Fashion for Good
+31 6270 93979
Note to editors
Fashion for Good’s six programmes are:
- Early-stage innovation Accelerator: Fashion for Good works with Plug and Play, a leading Silicon Valley accelerator, to give promising start-up innovators the funding and expertise they need to grow.
- Late-stage innovation Programme: Fashion for Good finds innovations that have proof of concept and helps them scale by offering bespoke support and access to expertise, customers and capital.
- Apparel Acceleration Fund: The Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH) is scoping a fund that catalyzes access to finance where this is required to shift at scale to more sustainable production methods.
- Good Fashion Guide: This open-source guide proves that good fashion is feasible today and shows brands how to embrace it. The online guide provides practical tips, a self-diagnostic tool and a step-by-step guide to production, based on lessons learned while creating the world’s first Cradle-to-Cradle Certified™ GOLD T-shirt.
- The launchpad exhibition of the Fashion for Good Experience: Fashion for Good has opened three floors to the public in its historic building in a first step to build a community around the ambition to make all fashion Good. With interactive displays, thought-provoking messaging, and a call to action, the launchpad will inform and inspire its visitors to be part of this larger movement of Only Good Fashion. In 2018, the launchpad exhibition will be replaced with a definitive Experience Centre.
- Circular Apparel Community: Fashion for Good has rented a historic building in the heart of Amsterdam (our first hub) to bring likeminded organisations and partners together, including the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) and Made-By. This community will embrace collaboration to create change and it will be the first time such a vibrant eco-system of entrepreneurs and innovators has come together in the name of circular fashion.
The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedTM is a certification mark licensed by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.
About C&A Foundation
As the corporate foundation of global retailer C&A, we are here to transform the fashion industry. We give our partners financial support, expertise and networks so they can make the fashion industry work better for every person it touches. We do this because we believe that despite the vast and complex challenges we face, we can work together to make fashion a force for good. www.candafoundation.org
About Fashion for Good
Fashion for Good is the global initiative that is here to make all fashion good. Fashion for Good sparks and scales innovation by offering practical action in the form of support and funding, shares best practice and lessons learned in open-source roadmaps, and fosters sector-wide collaboration for the entire apparel industry to change. Fashion for Good invites brands, producers, retailers, suppliers, non-profit organisations, innovators and funders to jointly transform the industry.
Guests are invited to learn more about the industry at a newly opened Launchpad Exhibition in Amsterdam. Fashion for Good was created with an initial grant from founding partner C&A Foundation, and prior to launch partners that built the foundation of Fashion for Good: the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, IDH – The Sustainable Trade Initiative, Impact Hub Amsterdam, McDonough Innovation, The Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), Plug and Play, C&A and Kering.